Originally founded as Constantine College, the institution was officially opened by the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VIII, on 2 July 1930. The college became a polytechnic in 1969; and in 1992, the Privy Council gave approval to Teesside, to become a university.
University status led to greater emphasis on expansion. New degrees attracted students from further afield and helped Teesside gain an international reputation in niche markets.
Teesside University is a leading university with an international reputation for academic excellence that provides an outstanding student and learning experience underpinned by research, enterprise and the professions.
Teesside is a real-world university that prides itself on its inclusive, consultative, responsive, friendly and open approach and on the significant positive social, economic and cultural impact that it has upon the communities that it serves and the wider economy of the North of England.Founded on a rich heritage, the University has taken a leading role in employer engagement, the enhancement of learning, teaching and the student experience, real-world research, staff and leadership development, employer workforce development, social, cultural and community enrichment and widening participation.This bold commitment and vision culminated in the University becoming the first modern university to receive recognition as the Times Higher Education UK University of the Year. More recently the University was awarded The Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2014-18 for world-class excellence in relation to its work with business and the enterprise agenda.Teesside University is a global education pioneer for animation, games and computer graphics and is ranked as one of the top 20 places in the world to study animation (3D World magazine).Teesside has a flourishing and dynamic research culture, producing ‘world-leading and internationally excellent’ research in the last UK Research Evaluation Framework (REF) assessment, which is increasingly making a real and valuable contribution to society in areas such as Social Policy and Allied Health.The University has invested more than £270m on its award-winning campuses in recent years to further enhance the experience and support provided to students, and it remains committed to investment-led growth.
- We are in the top 10% of universities in the world – listed in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2016-17 (601 – 800 world band listing)
- In the top 6% of all participating world universities and number one in the UK for overall average satisfaction among international students (International Student Barometer Autumn 2016, 182 institutions participated globally, 42 in the UK)
- Ranked number one in the UK by international students for careers advice and employability (International Student Barometer Autumn 2016, 182 institutions participated globally, 42 in the UK)
- In the top 25 in the UK for teaching quality (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017)
- Queen’s Anniversary Prize (2014-18) for outstanding work in the field of enterprise and business engagement
- The majority of Teesside University’s research is world-leading or internationally excellent (Research Excellence Framework 2014) Offices in Beijing, Kuala Lumpur and New Delhi
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Human Resource Management
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) International Business
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Project Management